Sunday, May 24, 2009

Rachel Dunlap


“There’ll come a time, everyone you know will say goodbye…”

-Minipop


A friend of mine once said that life is a series of paths that converge and diverge.  I was talking about people I had known that I wasn’t in contact with anymore. A few didn’t matter; a few more I missed. I didn’t even know where they were. I could track them down, but then what? It had been 15 years. You want everything to be like it was – you want to pick up where you left off. You remember them the way they were back then: young, totally crazy.  But a lot changes in 15 years.  Maybe everything.

 

Rachel, I don’t know what I would’ve said to you if I had been able to see you again.  I don’t know that we would’ve had anything to talk about.  But for what it’s worth, I found myself thinking about you every now and again these last 20 years, and every time I did, it was with much fondness, and the curiosity: I wonder what she’s doing now?  These paths of ours diverged early on – Jesus, our ages then were less than the time that’s gone by since – but the moment they crossed always meant something to me.

No comments: